See all job listings
Substance Abuse Counselor
The Fortune Society
Title: Substance Abuse Counselor
Unit: Treatment Services Satellite Clinic
Reports to: Clinical Supervisor
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Job Code: H317
Days/Hours: Monday and Wednesday, 11-7 pm and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9-5 - subject to change depending on program needs
Date Prepared: September 18, 2017
Responsible for providing case management and substance abuse counseling for a caseload of approximately 25-30 Alternative to Incarceration clients with a history of criminal justice involvement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct initial client intake interviews and assessments;
• Develop a therapeutic alliance with clients;
• Write and update individual client-based, goal-orientated treatment plans following OASAS guidelines;
• Conduct individual and group counseling sessions;
• Maintain detailed case records following OASAS guidelines;
• Participate in training opportunities;
• Participate in case conference and clinical supervision meetings;
• Contribute to the on-going development of the Treatment Services Unit;
• Maintain on going communication with Court Writers, Court Advocates, and/or other staff members within agency that share client;
• Provide linkages to outside agencies for additional services; and
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• LMSW, LMHC, LCSW, or full CASAC required;
• At least 2 years of clinical experience in a drug abuse treatment environment preferred;
• Ability to write quality progress notes and treatment plans;
• Must be computer literate and able to utilize our Electronic Health Record;
• Knowledge of addiction and recovery dynamics and treatment intervention modes;
• Demonstrated ability to organize complex tasks;
• Good written and verbal communication skills;
• Orientation toward detail and accuracy;
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements: May require travel to our Long Island City location.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Please apply online at:
Email Cover Letter and Resume to:
Posted on 06/26/18; CVMHA ID #12167