See all job listings
Rikers Island Operations Supervisor
The Fortune Society
Title: Riker’s Island Operations Supervisor
Reports to: Senior Director of Jail Based Services
Status: Full-Time; Regular; Exempt
Job Code: TBD
Location: Riker’s Correctional Facility, Manhattan Detention Center, and LIC
Days/Hours: 35 hours a week
Date Prepared: July 18, 2017
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Jail Based Services, the Rikers Island Operations Supervisor will be responsible for the successful implementation of the Rikers Island aspect of the ICAN program and the achievement of all Milestones during the contract period. The supervisor will work out of both Fortune’s office at our main service center in Long Island City, Queens, as well as at Riker’s Island.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Directly supervise and support ICAN Discharge Planners and Team Leaders;
• Work closely with other key staff who play an important role in implementing the ICAN program, including the Admissions Coordinator, Court Advocate, Treatment Services Counselor, and Entitlement Specialist at Fortune’s Single Stop site;
• Support and train Discharge Planners and Team Leaders with specific skill set development;
• Oversee day-to-day operations of the Riker’s Island aspect of the ICAN program;
• Develop, implement, and maintain a strategic operational system that will enhance our programmatic reports and evaluation;
• Review client charts to assure quality and detailed documentation;
• Manage Fortune’s home base at Riker’s Island, which will be provided by DOC. This includes collaborating with DOC staff and facility structures to connect potential and enrolled ICAN participants with Fortune’s staff;
• Coordinate with the DOC management team to resolve all operational issues, including securing staff clearances, accessing facilities, planning for the movement of ICAN enrollees, and assisting with recruitment;
• Research, evaluate and support the Discharge Planners in building strong working partnerships both in-jail and community based service provider;
• Support the ICAN staff in developing an extensive base of referral partner agencies that provide the following services in the community: primary health care, substance abuse treatment, mental health treatment, education, employment services, housing, family services, ATI, etc. and continuously seek new resources and opportunities to support the needs of clients;
• Discuss major program developments with the Senior Director and collaborate with EQI staff in developing solutions to programmatic problems or issues that may arise;
• Work closely with the Senior Director and other ICAN staff to ensure successful achievement of all in-jail milestones, including those related to: Discharge Preparation, Skill-Building Activities, and Community Stabilization and ensure a successful transition of ICAN participants into the community
• Ensure required data is entered accurately and in a timely manner into Fortune’s agency-wide database, CLIMB;
• Ensure that accurate and timely progress reports are submitted to DOC;
• Attend and participate in scheduled staff activities, meetings and training;
• Provide coverage for groups and conduct enrollments, if necessary; and
• Perform other related duties as needed.
Manages Discharge Planners and Team Leaders in the ICAN unit; Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and engaging employees; addressing employee relations and resolving problems.
• Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines which can include lock downs, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Corrections;
• High school diploma or GED/HSE required. Some degree of higher education preferred;
• At least three years of prior experience in a management/supervisory position preferred;
• Strong working knowledge of the criminal justice system in NYC, especially Riker’s Island correctional facilities;
• Strong administrative and organizational skills;
• Strong facility with basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel;
• Strong written, oral, and public speaking skills;
• Bilingual English/Spanish a plus;
• A commitment to working with individuals involved in the criminal justice system;
• Ability to maintain composure and patience in challenging circumstances;
• Excellent team player;
• Flexibility to meet the needs of the program, such as moving between facilities throughout the day;
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements - Frequent travel between Riker’s Island, MDC and Long Island City office. May require travel to our Harlem office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Salary Range: $60-70K
Please apply online at: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/index.php?/job/apply&clientkey=33B4B23E84A9B3F4CD16B8BC7604391F&job=10352&jpt=
Email Resume and Cover Letter to:
Posted on 06/26/18; CVMHA ID #12166