See all job listings
MEDICAL ASSISTANT/ELIGIBILITY SPECIALIST
Center For Urban Community Services
Janian Medical Care, P.C., seeks a medical assistant to work in a dual role as both a medical assistant for our primary care program (three days a week) and as an insurance eligibility specialist for our psychiatry program (two days a week).
Janian Medical Care, P.C., an affiliate of Center for Urban Community Services (CUCS), seeks an individual to serve as both a medical assistant and eligibility specialist for our program. Janian Medical Care provides primary medical care and psychiatric care to homeless and formerly homeless New Yorkers at community based programs including supportive and transitional housing, shelters, and outreach teams. Long recognized as a leader in the development and delivery of on-site psychiatric care, Janian Medical Care has expanded our services to provide high-quality, integrated, comprehensive primary care to our clients.
Janian Medical Care, P. C. invites applicants for the Medical Assistant/Eligibility Specialist position to work alongside both the primary care providers at various programs throughout New York City, as well as to support our psychiatric providers as we grow our billing practice for psychiatric services. This individual will serve in a traditional medical assistant role within our primary care program three days a week, collaborating with patients’ psychiatrist, social workers, and case managers at the program and assisting in coordination of specialty care with external providers. The eligibility specialist portion of this position will involve optimizing Janian patients’ insurance coverage to cover care both provided by Janian clinicians and prescribed by Janian clinicians.
The Medical Assistant/Eligibility Specialist will perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a provider.
Medical Assistant administrative duties include the following:
• Work with staff and patients for appointment management to optimize clinic hours.
• Document all services in Electronic Medical Record (EMR)
• Front Office Tasks including; basic intake and collection of insurance information, privacy practice forms collection and management, faxing, and filing
• Specialty referrals coordination
• Liaise with laboratory and pharmacies as directed by provider
• Billing related tasks including Prior Authorization management
• Insurance verification
• Medical supply and equipment maintenance including quality control testing and inventory management
Medical Assistant clinical duties include the following:
• Taking and recording vital signs
• Preparing patients for examination and performing basic screenings
• Laboratory services including phlebotomy and specimen collection
• EKG exams
• Point-of-care testing as directed by the provider
Eligibility Specialist duties include:
• Checking and Activating Insurance:
o Verify and re-verify insurance eligibility and information
o Activate or re-activate insurance coverage
o Assist in changing insurance coverage when this would improve access to care
o Assist in the collection of insurance cards and demographic information from the patient and program staff at each psychiatry billing site
o Maintain accurate insurance information and patient demographics in the electronic health record
o Collect consents and authorizations for information transfers
• Assist with authorizations for services and treatments:
o Assist in obtaining authorizations as needed for initial or ongoing visits as well as for services including psychotherapy and medications
o Enter coverage and authorizations into the electronic health record
o Track expiring authorizations and obtain re-authorizations.
The Medical Assistant/Eligibility Specialist role with Janian is dynamic, and additional tasks and responsibilities may be requested.
• Medical assistant training completed in a vocational technical high school setting diploma, post secondary medical assistant training program certificate
• Knowledge of medical terminology and electronic medical record keeping
• High school graduate or GED
• CPR certification is a plus but not required
• Must be well organized and flexible in workstyle
• Strong written and verbal communication
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
• Medical Assistants maintain a regular weekly schedule at their assigned medical office location(s). Candidates must be willing to travel during the course of the work week to their assigned location(s) to work with their assigned provider and assist in psychiatry billing practices
*Bilingual-Spanish speaking applicants encouraged to apply. This position is 9-5pm Monday through Friday
Bilingual-Spanish speaking applicants encouraged to apply. This position is 9-5pm Monday through Friday
Please send cover letter and resume to Carol.Eisenberg@janianmed.org
• Applicants will only be considered for positions they apply for.
• Janian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
Posted on 06/04/18; CVMHA ID #12120