See all job listings
Center for Alternative Sentencing and Employment Services
Location: Harlem – 8th floor
Reports to: Director of Education and Career Services
Overview: The Center for Alternative Sentencing and Employment Services (CASES)
CASES' Education and Employment team aims to help New York City's justice-involved young people, ranging in age from 13-24, to lead productive and successful lives. Our approach is distinguished by individualized case management, evidence-based programming, and group activities that build positive peer associations. For many, this is the first time in their lives that they are participating in activities that help them set personal goals and develop the skills they need to reach them.
The Education and Employment unit integrates education and training with employment. We offer services that emphasize the need for continued training and learning no matter the industry or career field.
This position will specifically work in our Jobs for America’s Graduates program (JAG). JAG is a national work readiness and job placement program. CASES is the first to implement JAG in New York as a part of the Learn, Earn and Achieve Potential grant (LEAP). We are looking for a JAG Specialist who will support participants in their pursuits of long term employment or college enrollment while they work towards a High School Equivalency Diploma. Eligible youth are 17- 24 years old, out of school (but interested in a diploma), under or unemployed. Youth also will have current or previous involvement in the justice, foster care or shelter systems.
● Develop trusting relationships with participants with a goal of supporting them from intake through job placement and/or college enrollment;
● Responsible for providing work-based learning experiences the will lead to career advancement opportunities;
● Provide group and individualized employment counseling that includes developing specific goals and realistic plans to achieve those goals with an emphasis on employment, education and credential attainment;
● Engage with community partners to build training and internship opportunities for program participants;
● Tailor the curriculum and teaching methods to the needs of the participant and implements an intervention strategy for each individual;
● Create and implement project based learning experiences to support the content of workshops;
● Facilitate JAG job readiness workshops while fostering engagement and motivation;
● Collaborate with Teachers to ensure participant has a success plan for both employment and education progress;
● Administer TABE test for prospective participants;
● Track the number of participants served, services delivered and outcomes achieves in the assigned data base;
● Oversee and advise the Professional Association, a student-lead group dedicated to developing young leaders;
● Participate in professional development activities internally and externally.
● Minimum of BA/BS degree or equivalent experience;
● Ability to apply youth development principles and commitment to work from a strengths-based perspective;
● Be open to training on and off site;
● Passion to work with and support the positive development of youth and young adults that have been systems involved;
● Demonstrated ability to engage, teach, and motivate youth;
● Desire to be a team player;
● Sense of humor;
● Comfortable with being flexible in a fast-paced, changing work environment;
● Available to sometimes work hours outside of a normal work day;
● Ability to work effectively with diverse group of staff, clients and external partners;
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
● Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
Benefits: Here at CASES we offer benefits that will assist you in making the most of your career and your life. Our programs include health and wellness insurance which is offered through Aetna. A retirement 403(b) plan is held with Principal, education, and training. Additionally, our portable ancillary benefits are offered through Aflac, Legal Shield, and ADP Flexible spending account; which is then deducted through payroll along with commuter benefits, additional short-term disability, cancer, additional income protection, hospitalization coverage, and identity theft protection.
In one document, attach your cover letter and resume in PDF or Word format. No phone calls please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
CASES is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with CASES is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status. We also actively recruit individuals with prior involvement in the criminal justice system.Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Please apply through: http://smrtr.io/vWlb1Q
Posted on 04/18/18; CVMHA ID #12035