See all job listings
The Fortune Society
Unit: Health Services
Reports to: Director, DIC
Status: Full-Time; Regular; Non - Exempt
Days/Hours: Monday- Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Date Prepared: February 27, 2018
The Health Educator will assess, develop and implement health education service plans by screening consumers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Health Educator must perform a screening on each consumer to document the consumer’s reasons for participating in the specific service, and what the consumer hopes to accomplish;
• For consumers receiving case management through this initiative, the Health Educator must collaborate with the Case Manager in service plan development to ensure that Health Education goals and objectives are included;
• For consumers who receive case management through another source, the Health Educator is
Responsible for developing a Health Education Service Plan which must include:
o Goals and objectives for participation;
o Activities consumers will participate in;
o How activities will include, promote, and support consumer access to care, adherence to treatment and improved medical outcomes, including viral suppression;
o Target dates and updated outcomes;
• Develop health education curricula and activities;
• Facilitate group and individual health education sessions;
• After each group session, the Health Educator must record group attendance, complete group progress notes summarizing the session, and evaluate, using pre and post- tests or other mechanisms, the degree to which group goals were met;
• After each individual session, the Health Educator must document an individual progress note in the consumer’s record that briefly summarizes the consumer’s participation, progress, accomplishments, further needs and referrals; and
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines which can include lock downs, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Corrections;
• B.A. or B.S. with 2 years of experience working in the field of HIV/AIDS or other chronic illness;
• 2-3 years of experience developing and facilitating health education;
• Possess an understanding of community level work and the importance of collaborating and coordinating with other organizations;
• Effective communication and documentation skills;
• Cultural and linguistic competence for the population served; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements – Harlem office, community, Correctional Facility, may have to travel to LIC office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
must apply online:
Posted on 02/27/18; CVMHA ID #11909