See all job listings
The Fortune Society
Unit: Employment Services
Reports to: Manager of Career Advisement
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non - Exempt
Job Code: TBD
Location: Long Island City
Days/Hours: 2 days 12pm-8pm, 3 days 9am–5pm, subject to change depending on program needs
Date Prepared: November 28, 2017
Responsible for conducting and maintaining follow-up on Employment Services clients to retain employment status and explore career ladders and future career options.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Utilize a case management approach as well as regular telephone and in-person consultations to help clients address work related problems and issues external to the workplace impacting performance and attendance;
• Help to develop, maintain and update resource binder for use in consultations and in Employment Services Resource Room listing various programs and resources available to clients in areas such as education and training, workplace clothing provision, childcare, substance dependency treatment, housing, etc.;
• Make referrals both within and outside Fortune as necessary to provide people with the services that will help them solve outside problems and retain their jobs;
• Engage in career planning with clients on issues of career advancement, career change and exploring educational steps necessary to obtain jobs within career ladders;
• With the assistance of Employment Services staff, interns and volunteers, monitor and report on the employment status and salary of Employment Services Workshop clients on a monthly basis for a period extending 2 years from the date of completion of their workshop;
• On a monthly basis the retention specialist will be responsible for providing one-on-one retention counseling either by phone or in person for 240+ clients;
• Conducting financial literacy counseling with clients utilizing Single Stop Financial Literacy model; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED/HSE required. Minimum of Associate’s Degree preferred;
• 2 or more years of experience in social work, clinical counseling or similar services;
• Case management experience a plus;
• Good Microsoft Office and database skills;
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish strongly preferred;
• Excellent team work skills as well as being self-directed;
• Experience working with persons who were formerly incarcerated, welfare and/or homeless populations preferred; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements – May require travel to our Harlem office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
must apply online:
Posted on 11/28/17; CVMHA ID #11604