See all job listings
Reports to: Director Intensive Mobile Treatment
Overview: CASES is a New York City leader at the intersection of behavioral health and the criminal justice system. We run effective and respected programs that provide solutions and services for some of the city’s most difficult public safety and public health challenges. CASES is looking to hire a highly experienced Registered Nurse to work on a new innovative program launched by the City under NYC Safe, an evidence-driven Public Safety and Public Health Program to help prevent violence. The Brooklyn Intensive Mobile Treatment (IMT) team supports individuals with untreated serious mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorders that pose a concern for violent behavior. IMT serves only 27 consumers providing immediate and ongoing care for individuals who struggle to get treatment and also face housing instability. IMT has the resources to provide the range of services clients need without the burdens of Medicaid billing and complicated regulations.
The Registered Nurse will be part of a multidisciplinary team with a director, part-time psychiatrist, three Behavioral Health Specialists and two peer specialists. Engaging and retaining consumers in IMT is the highest priority of the service. This is a job for nurses with superior engagement skills who can deliver services in any setting (street, parks, homeless shelters, private homes, hospitals, courtrooms, and Rikers Island jail). Services will be provided as needed early in the morning, late evening and on Saturdays. The Registered Nurse will ensure IMT services are recovery-oriented, trauma-informed and culturally responsive to produce positive outcomes for participants.
The goal is to improve the overall health of participants.
• Conduct outreach as needed to participants wherever they are;
• Engage participants utilizing a recovery-oriented and trauma-informed approach;
• Utilize motivational interviewing techniques to align with participants and help inspire change;
• Primary responsibility for the development of individualized nursing and health assessments on all participants;
• Complete assessment and treatment recommendations from face to face interviews, review of medical records when available, communication with collateral providers, family and significant others;
• During assessment obtain information to establish degree of medical care and interventions required to promote positive health outcomes and facilitate the coordination of health services into recipients’ service plans;
• Develop, implement, and evaluate the nursing regimen for recipients;
• Administer standardized drug/alcohol, mental health and trauma screens;
• Conduct violence risk assessment incorporating input from the entire treatment team utilizing HCR-20-v3 and incorporate findings into risk management plan;
• Utilize standardized recidivism risk assessment instrument (LS/CMI) and incorporate findings in to risk management plan;
• Accompany participant, as needed, to medical and other appointments in the community; advocate and support participants access to needed supports and services in the community;
• Provide individual and, when appropriate, group-based interventions to address health, mental health, behavioral and substance use issues (including tobacco cessation) utilizing educational. motivational and cognitive behavioral strategies;
• Provide education to all IMT staff around physical health related issues and participant medical care protocols;
• Review and audit medication management procedures and teach all IMT staff how to follow and adhere to procedures;
• Coordinate medical care and medication management in close coordination with IMT psychiatrist;
• Maintain schedule for participant prescriptions;
• Administer IMs and vaccines, plants and reads PPDs and performs phlebotomy as per orders;
• Utilize electronic health record to maintain and update Medication Administration Records;
• Have a “whatever it takes” approach to the engagement and retention of IMT consumers;
• Believe in the ability of IMT participants to recover and have positive outcomes in the face of significant challenges;
• Complete incident reports as required, including reporting, as appropriate to the NY Safe Act, NYS Justice Center, and NYC DOHMH.
• Conduct all documentation in electronic health record;
• Participate in collaborative learning opportunities overseen by DOHMH with other IMT team directors to support the development of an effective treatment model;
• Provide coverage early mornings, evening and Saturdays on rotating basis;
• Provide 24-hour crisis intervention on-call services on rotating basis;
• Participate effectively in team processes; and in regularly scheduled supervision with Program Director, and
• Perform other duties as required by Program Director and senior staff.
• Registered Nurse with current New York State license;
• At least three years of experience working with individuals with complex and untreated mental illness and those with serious mental illness, co-occurring substance use disorders and multiple chronic health conditions.
• Experience understanding various evidence-based models and theories pertaining to psycho-education, motivational interviewing, serious mental illness and recovery;
• Experience delivering services in-vivo in the community;
• Strong interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, flexibility and humor;
• Highly-developed clinical, engagement, and motivational skills;
• Highly organized and self-motivated
• Proficient in computers and Electronic Health Record (EHR), preferably AWARDS Foothold Technology; and
• Fluency in Spanish preferred
$80,000 to $90,000 commensurate with experience and credentials.
Benefits: Here at CASES we offer benefits that will assist you in making the most of your career and your life. Our programs include health and wellness insurance which is offered through Aetna. A retirement 403(b) plan is held with Principal, education, and training. Additionally, our portable ancillary benefits are offered through Aflac, Legal Shield, and ADP Flexible spending account; which is then deducted through payroll along with commuter benefits, additional short-term disability, cancer, additional income protection, hospitalization coverage, and identity theft protection.
Please apply through: http://smrtr.io/uB-1mA.
Posted on 11/15/17; CVMHA ID #11582