See all job listings
Benefit Advisor - Single Stop
Center for Urban Community services
The Center for Urban Community Services, a national leader in the development of effective housing and service initiatives for homeless people, invites applications for a Benefit Advisor position at the Single Stop program. Single Stop is designed to reduce poverty by providing individuals and families with assistance obtaining multiple benefits and services including health insurance, food access, legal guidance, financial counseling, crisis assistance, and various other services.
CUCS operates four community Single Stop sites in East Harlem, Central Harlem and the Bronx and in partnership with the Department of Veteran Affairs Healthcare Network, CUCS also operates three Single Stop sites located in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan VA Hospitals. We are a diverse team who are hard working, client centered and willing to go the extra mile to serve our clients. We are seeking a Benefit Advisor to join our community Single Stop team.
The primary responsibility of the Benefit Advisor will be to assist low income families who are in need by screening them for benefits and services for which they may be eligible. Once eligibility is determined, this person will then assist the participant with accessing resources such as public benefits, housing, health care, employment services, legal services, financial counseling, mental health, education, and other social services. The Benefit Advisor will guide the participant through the application; follow up to ensure successful completion of the process, and advocate when needed. This person will be responsible to manage his/her cases by learning the funders required database as well as HRA’s electronic application system.
• Use strong listening skills to understand the client’s needs and determine the best plan of action
• Assess appropriate eligibility for benefits, prioritize next steps, and prepare all necessary documents
• Effectively communicate the process , manage expectations and assist the client with reminders
• Document work in funder’s database and internal tracking mechanisms within required time frame
• Work effectively as a team player to meet goals and targets set by funders and management
• Manage internal relationships with partners as well as external relationships with community partners
• Present program services to groups within the community to engage new participants and referral sources
• Working knowledge of public benefits preferred
• Knowledge of and interest in working with the low income community preferred
• Case management/social service experience preferred
• Must be comfortable working independently and in a team setting
• Strong organizational, writing, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to problem solve and develop creative strategies and solutions
• Computer literacy required
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree or High School Diploma with 4 years of relevant experience; For every 30 college credits earned, 1 year of experience may be reduced from the requirement for applicants with HS diploma
Please be advised that you must upload your cover letter and resume in one document.
Applicants will only be considered for positions they apply for.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK OR COPY AND PASTE URL TO YOUR BROWSER:
Posted on 11/10/17; CVMHA ID #11559