See all job listings
Peer Wellness Coach
Reports to: NWP Team Leader
Overview: As a member of the wellness team, the Peer Wellness Coach will provide support, counseling and role modeling for consumers with mental illnesses, and co-occurring disorders in their recovery efforts and assist the wellness team with treatment planning and adapting wellness goals to overcome barriers to good mental and physical health. The Peer Wellness Coach will promote prevention and understanding of chronic health conditions and assist in the coordination of care with physical health providers and serve as a client advocate in the client’s pursuit of their individual health and wellness journey.
• Promotes consumer engagement in therapy with clinicians, engagement with psychiatric appointments, involvement and engagement with wellness services and engagement with primary care.
• Provides self-help recovery services (WRAP, pathways to Recovery) and other peer wellness services
• Coordinate with other peer specialists to expand the reach of wellness/health focused peer specialist services
• Assist Consumers in processing the complexity of healthful behaviors
• Escort consumers to appointments
• Provide telephone check ins
• Assist Consumers with entitlements (SSI, welfare-PA, Medicaid)
• Facilitate client motivation for access to and participation in lifestyle interventions and support services
• Will be responsible for connecting consumers to education programs that provide health education
• Attend out of office outreach visit
• Conduct outreach to community (phone calls, letters, and presentations)
• Co-lead groups as needed around health education and wellness management.
• Conduct on-going work in the community as needed
• Use motivational interviewing to engage and retain consumers in health promote
• Demonstrate and share healthy living practices to facilitate smoking cessation, weight loss, exercise promotion, good nutrition.
• Promote person-centered services that embrace recovery.
• Provide case management
• Coordinate with PCP/NCC on patient treatment plan
• Participate in staff meetings and integration treatment team
• Other duties as required
• High School/GED. Diagnosed with Serious Mental Illness, in recovery, personal experience with the mental health treatment system
• Graduate of ICD’s NYS-Education Department sponsored, Human Services Assistant Vocational Training Program
• Peer Specialist Certificate preferred
• Graduates of recognized peer specialist training programs such as Howie the Harp that have successfully completed peer internship or previously worked as a peer.
• Experience working with criminal justice involved consumers
• Preference given to consumers with lived experience of the criminal justice system
• This position is in an OMH licensed program and requires fingerprinting and clearance from the Justice Center and Child Abuse Registry
• Proficient in computers
• Fluency in Spanish preferred
• Strong Communication Skills
• Interpersonal Skills needed for peer counseling
• Demonstrates ability to work with consumers with diverse backgrounds
• Positive in their health status to coach others in health related areas
• Ability to plan, organize and complete work in a timely fashion
• Good understanding of trauma informed care and the impact of trauma and recovery.
• Have positive attitude and commitment to wellness and health.
$30,000 Full-time 35 hours.
Benefits: Here at CASES we offer benefits that will assist you in making the most of your career and your life. Our programs include health and wellness insurance which is offered through Aetna. A retirement 403(b) plan is held with Principal, education, and training. Additionally, our portable ancillary benefits are offered through Aflac, Legal Shield, and ADP Flexible spending account; which is then deducted through payroll along with commuter benefits, additional short-term disability, cancer, additional income protection, hospitalization coverage, and identity theft protection.
Please apply through: http://smrtr.io/-rLQDA.
Posted on 11/03/17; CVMHA ID #11538