See all job listings
Employment Specialist (JAG and Harlem Plus)
Reports to: Director of Education and Career Services (HARLEM)
Overview: The Center for Alternative Sentencing and Employment Services
CASES' Education and Employment team aims to help New York City's justice-involved young people, ranging in age from 13-24, to lead productive and successful lives. Our approach is distinguished by individualized case management, evidence-based programming, and group activities that build positive peer associations. For many, this is the first time in their lives that they are participating in activities that help them set personal goals and develop the skills they need to reach them.
The Education and Employment unit integrates education and training with employment. We offer services that emphasize the need for continued training and learning no matter the industry or career field.
This position will specifically work in our Jobs for America’s Graduates (JAG) and Justice Plus - Harlem programs. JAG is a national work readiness and job placement program. CASES is the first to implement JAG in New York, and we are looking for a JAG Specialist who will support participants in their pursuits of long term employment or college enrollment while they work towards a High School Equivalency Diploma. Eligible youth are 17- 24 years old, out of school (but interested in a diploma), under or unemployed. Youth also will have current or previous involvement in the justice, foster care or shelter systems. Justice Plus is part of the Cure Violence initiative. CASES has joined this initiative to serve Central Harlem as a job-readiness partner. We serve 17 youth annually who live within our designated area.
This position is located in our Harlem office at 2090 Adam Clayton Powell Blvd.
● Develop trusting relationships with JAG and Justice Plus participants maintaining contact with them throughout active and follow up phases;
● Participate in recruitment efforts for Justice Plus to ensure targets are met;
● Provide group and individualized employment counseling that includes, but is not limited to, developing specific employment-related goals and realistic plans to achieve those goals;
● Facilitate work readiness workshops for small groups;
● Create relevant material for engaging workshops and groups;
● Engage with community partners to build internship opportunities for program participants;
● Create and implement project based learning experiences as well as recreational activities;
● Facilitate JAG job readiness competency modules while fostering engagement and motivation;
● Monitor participant progress in HSE classes while working with HSE teachers to ensure participant has a success plan for both employment and education progress;
● Administer TABE test for prospective participants;
● Update E-NDMS (JAG), DOP Connect (Justice Plus) and Salesforce with necessary data and documentation in a timely manner;
● Oversee and advise the Professional Association, a student-leadership group; and,
● Develop worksites for SYEP, ensure JAG participants are enrolled in SYEP, and support SYEP team as needed
● Minimum of BA/BS degree or equivalent experience;
● Ability to apply youth development principles and commitment to work from a strengths-based perspective;
● Be open to training on and off site;
● Willingness to participate in professional development;
● Passion to support the positive development of youth and young adults that have experienced trauma;
● Demonstrated ability to engage, teach, and motivate youth
● Desire to be a team player;
● Comfortable with being flexible in a fast-paced work environment;
● Available to sometimes work hours outside of a normal work day;
● Ability to work effectively with diverse group of staff and participants;
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills; and,
● Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
Benefits: Here at CASES we offer benefits that will assist you in making the most of your career and your life. Our programs include health and wellness insurance which is offered through Aetna. A retirement 403(b) plan is held with Principal, education, and training. Additionally, our portable ancillary benefits are offered through Aflac, Legal Shield, and ADP Flexible spending account; which is then deducted through payroll along with commuter benefits, additional short-term disability, cancer, additional income protection, hospitalization coverage, and identity theft protection.
Please apply through: http://smrtr.io/qXbcuA.
Posted on 07/19/17; CVMHA ID #11249