See all job listings
Full-Time HSE Teacher - Harlem
Reports to: Director of Education and Employment Services-Harlem
Overview: The Center for Alternative Sentencing and Employment Services
CASES' youth programs aim to help New York City's justice-involved young people, ranging in age from 13-24, to lead productive, crime-free lives. Our approach is distinguished by individualized case management, evidence-based programming, and group activities that build positive peer associations. For many, this is the first time in their lives that they are participating in activities that help them set personal goals and develop the skills they need to reach them. As a result, hundreds of our youth participants have enrolled in secondary, post-secondary, and vocational institutions, acquired their High School Equivalency Diplomas, found unsubsidized employment, and ended their involvement in the justice system.
CASES’ youth programs operates a High School Equivalency Program for participants ages 17-24. Classes are held Monday through Thursday. We aim to provide young people who have been disconnected from education a chance to reconnect through creative and thoughtful lesson plans.
We are looking for a teacher who is interested in creating an asset-based learning environment where students can thrive and experience success.
· Provide a safe learning environment for students filled with opportunities to demonstrate leadership and academic growth;
· Teach all subjects of the TASC: Math, Science, Writing, Reading and Social Studies;
· Administer the STAR and TABE tests for new students;
· Teach enrichment classes to those who have passed some subjects of the TASC;
· Develop level-appropriate lesson plans that promote balanced literacy and address multiple learning styles;
· Maintain attendance book and enter attendance weekly in database;
· Write bi-weekly progress notes for every student;
· Participate in weekly staff meetings;
· Communicate with other staff about participants’ progress and challenges and collaborate to create success plans for students experiencing difficulties;
· Provide tutoring to active participants and well as graduates as time allows; and,
· Assist with Education referrals to appropriate settings.
· Minimum of BA/BS degree, Masters in Education preferred;
· Demonstrated ability to engage, support, teach and motivate disconnected youth;
· Ability to work effectively with diverse group of clients and staff;
· Classroom management practices rooted in youth development;
· Familiarity with all subjects on the TASC as well as Common Core Standards;
· Willingness to participate in professional development both internally and externally;
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
· Commitment to developing a safe learning environment; and,
· Open to working in a collaborative environment
Benefits: Here at CASES we offer benefits that will assist you in making the most of your career and your life. Our programs include health and wellness insurance which is offered through Aetna. A retirement 403(b) plan is held with Principal, education, and training. Additionally, our portable ancillary benefits are offered through Aflac, Legal Shield, and ADP Flexible spending account; which is then deducted through payroll along with commuter benefits, additional short-term disability, cancer, additional income protection, hospitalization coverage, and identity theft protection.
Please apply through: http://smrtr.io/Xjv-wA.
Posted on 07/19/17; CVMHA ID #11248