See all job listings
Vocational Counselor/Resume Writer
The Fortune Society
Title: Vocational Counselor/Resume Writer
Unit: Employment Services
Reports to: Director of Training and Transitional Programs
Status: Full Time/Regular/Exempt
Job Code: E171
Location: Long Island City
Days/Hours: Monday – Friday; 9am – 5pm, Subject to change based on program needs
Date Prepared: May 11, 2017
Under the supervision of the Director of Training and Transitional Programs, the Vocational Counselor/Resume Writer will be responsible for the following:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Partner with unit management to generate and oversee a process of client and volunteer resume preparation for ALL employment services clients (700+), including all graduates of the two week workshop and/or its successors;
• Assist clients with reviewing, updates, and targeting their resumes in preparation for job interviews;
• Training and securing volunteers; appropriately harnessing, scheduling and coordinating volunteer resources; and, on an every week basis, directly and regularly engaging in resume production and quality assurance reviews;
• Interact with unit management, Account Management team members, and others to regularly obtain feedback on resume quality, troubleshoot and constantly improve the resume development process, and insure adequate resumes are being produced, and stored in accord with unit standards;
• Attend unit and agency interdisciplinary meetings and collaboratively case manage various client issues related to Transitional Work, Resume Production or Employment Services in general;
• In concert with other unit personnel, maintain documentation for relevant service areas at an audit ready standard; Coordinate the service of clients in Fortune’s Employment Services Programs and its various sub programs, including the CDL Program;
• Work one-on-one and through telephone interaction to counsel clients on various issues related to employment and success and record CDL program milestones and follow-up retention;
• Ensure appropriate documentation of individual client progress/outcomes in the agency database in accord with agency/contract requirements and track incentives and client transportation costs on an aggregate an per client basis utilizing agency data systems;
• Interact with unit and agency staff, including direct service staff from Employment Services, other agency program staff, and administrative personnel, to insure that all clients receive service in accord with Fortune’s program design and contract requirements/goals and that the administrative and documenting needs of the agency and its relevant contracts are met;
• Interact with potential new CDL program participants and screen them for appropriate qualifications to ensure successful completion and ability to gain adequate, permanent employment within the field.
• Interact with existing CDL Program affiliates through in person site visits and other outreach means to report on lesson quality, troubleshoot and problem solve issues, , secure necessary documentation, offer retention guidance, and train/retrain and orient instructors;
• Engage in internal and external written reporting and data compilation regarding CDL Program and other related programming;
• Attend offsite meetings and events to secure particular pools of clients for various aspects of programming including CDL Program;
• In conjunction with agency Career Advisors, provide for appropriate referrals of CDL Program and other clients to further client growth and development;
• Participate in staff development; and
• Perform other duties as needed.
• A.A. degree; Bachelors preferred or equivalent work experience;
• Experience as a resume writer/job developer/vocational counselor or similar working with disadvantaged populations (experience with the formerly incarcerated preferred);
• strong organizational, written and oral communication skills;
• Strong working knowledge of current computer applications (MS Word, Excel and Access);
• Ability to work independently and with a team;
• Self-motivated and willing to take initiative; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements: This position will require travel to offsite locations to conduct site visits and secure new participating organizations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Posted on 05/11/17; CVMHA ID #11007