See all job listings
Per Diem Cook
The Fortune Society
Title: Cook (Per Diem)
Reports to: Manager, Food and Nutrition Services
Status: Part-Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Job Code: H348
Days/Hours: Per Diem
Date Prepared: January 30, 2017
The Fortune Academy, or “the Castle,” provides emergency and transitional housing to 62 homeless, justice-involved men and women at a time. Residents usually stay for up to 12 months, but may stay longer depending on their individual needs. During their stay, residents work with staff in building pro-social skills to maintain sobriety, address health needs, and achieve housing stability. All residents are required to be engaged in supportive services, and all have access to Fortune’s continuum of care to address individual needs. Since opening its doors in 2002, The Fortune Academy has provided safe, nurturing housing to over 1,000 homeless justice-involved people and been cited as a national housing model by such disparate sources as U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), AIDS Housing of Washington, and the Urban Institute.
This is a per-diem position, therefore a flexible schedule and open availability 7 days a week is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• In cooperation with the Full-time Cook, prepares meals, maintains the kitchen and its equipment, and serves food to residents in a respectful manner;
• Follows menus with diverse recipes to provide meals that are healthy and nutritionally balanced and which incorporate seasonal fruits and vegetables;
• Maintains updated inventory of food and supplies;
• Verifies incoming food and supply orders and corrects errors, shortages or surplus;
• Coordinates the distribution of meals to residents;
• Supervises kitchen interns to insure that they are following correct food handling procedures; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or equivalent;
• Certification/training in food safety and proper handling required;
• Two years of experience as a cook and/or supervising food service delivery in an institutional setting;
• Wide experience in cooking, food preparation including fresh produce, baking and serving;
• Familiar with sanitation and public health regulations;
• Good written and oral communication skills;
• Certification in CPR and First Aid a plus; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements – May require some travel to our LIC location
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status
Posted on 04/25/17; CVMHA ID #10958