See all job listings
Case Manager (I-CAN)
The Fortune Society
Title: Case Manager
Reports to: Team Leader Case Managers
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non - Exempt
Job Code: TBD
Location: Long Island City, Rikers Island if needed
Days/Hours: 5 days/35 hours a week, which may include weekends and/or evenings
Date Prepared: March 16, 2017
Responsible for supporting I-CAN participants during the in-jail phase and ensure that they are immediately connected to services upon release during in-community phase. The Case Manager will be working both at Rikers Island and out of Fortune’s office at our main office in Long Island City, Queens.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serve as the "Primary Person" and provide ongoing case management to I-CAN participants during the in-jail phase and continuing into the in-community phase;
• Make presentations at orientation sessions;
• Conduct individual and group counseling sessions at Rikers Island to engage each individual, support him/her during incarceration, and establish a lasting bond that will contribute to meaningful discharge, successful transition, and continued post-release contact;
• Establish and maintain strong relationships with NYC DOC correctional staff and service providers that have a presence at Rikers Island;
• Work closely with clients to ensure that they understand their individual correction plan and facilitate clients' progress toward achieving the stated goals in the plan;
• Work closely with the Senior Director and other I-CAN staff to ensure successful achievement of all in-jail and in-community Milestones, including those related to: Discharge Preparation, Skill-Building Activities, and Community Stabilization;
• Conduct agency intake interviews and needs assessments of new clients;
• Interact with Follow-Up Workers to coordinate aftercare services for clients;
• Advocate for clients when needed;
• Contact and engage clients' families to ensure their support for a successful transition. Conduct home visits when needed;
• Arrange and perform crisis intervention services and make referrals;
• Enter required data into Fortune's agency-wide database, CLIMB;
• Maintain accurate records and submit reports to the Director in a timely manner;
• Attend and participate in scheduled staff activities, meetings and trainings; and
• Perform other related duties as needed.
• Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines which can include lock downs, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Corrections;
• High school diploma or GED/HSE required, some degree of higher education preferred;
• At least 2 years of prior experience as a Case Manager or Counselor;
• Experience in providing services to individuals involved in the criminal justice system;
• Good computer skills, including the ability to write reports and enter data into a database;
• Strong counseling and facilitation skills;
• Strong administrative and organizational skills;
• Strong written, verbal and public speaking skills;
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish verbal and written skills a plus;
• A commitment to working with a diverse group of individuals involved with the criminal justice system;
• Ability to maintain composure and patience in challenging circumstances;
• Excellent team player;
• Flexibility to meet the needs of the program, such as moving between centers throughout the day; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements: Travel between Rikers, MDC and Long Island City office as needed. May require travel to our Harlem office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Posted on 04/25/17; CVMHA ID #10955