See all job listings
The Fortune Society
Title: Transitional Specialist
Unit: Drop-In Center
Reports to: Director
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Job Code: R127
Location: Castle Gardens and Riker’s Island
Date Prepared: April 8, 2016
Assists HIV+ clients in the transition from discharge from Riker’s Island to services at the Fortune Society or another social services agency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct intake processing;
• Confirm /Update existing discharge plan, and/or develop new community re-integration plan;
• Provide emergency basic needs (food vouchers, carfare, clothing, etc.);
• Conduct individual counseling sessions utilizing humanistic, client empowerment approach;
• Obtain verification of clients HIV status;
• Provide AIDS/HIV information to clients;
• Conduct daily follow-up during the first 72 hours of clients release from Riker’s Island;
• Maintain accurately documented client folders and schedules;
• Identify, research, and evaluate outside client service resources;
• Utilize and follow-up in house and outside referrals to client service resources;
• Provide weekly report to Director;
• Respond to callers needing information and referrals;
• Represent Fortune Society with Rikers Island and Dept. of Correction staff
• Represent Fortune at public speaking engagements; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines which can include lock downs, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Corrections;
• High school diploma or GED/HSE required, some college preferred;
• Experience counseling HIV+ clients on connecting to available services;
• Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office and database entry;
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a 15 person passenger van;
• Strong oral and written communication skills;
• Bi-lingual in English and Spanish a plus; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements: May require travel to our LIC office.
Physical Demands: Ability to drive a 15 person passenger van. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable intervals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Posted on 03/08/17; CVMHA ID #10804