See all job listings
Psychiatrist – Brooklyn IMT Team
Reports to: Director of IMT
Overview: The CASES Brooklyn Intensive Mobile Treatment (IMT) Team aims to engage and provide person centered and recovery-oriented treatment services to people who have been identified by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene’s (DOHMH) NYC Safe initiative, as high concern individuals. The target population is 25 individuals who are homeless, in and out of shelters, experience frequent contact with police and the criminal justice system, are seen in ERs and inpatient psychiatric units and are likely to have co-occurring substance use and mental illness. The team provides time unlimited services and continues to engage individuals who may present as resistant to services. The team provides services as needed, including early morning hours and Saturdays. The psychiatrist provides clinical leadership along with the program Director. The psychiatrist will provide visits to consumers predominately in the community. This is a position for an out of the box thinker with the ability to manage and guide the treatment of high-risk and high-need participants. The ideal candidate will value membership of a trans-disciplinary team of clinicians committed to evidence-based treatment and social justice.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Conduct outreach to consumers in community settings or in institutional settings (such as hospitals, jails, shelters) as needed;
· Conduct mental status examinations and pharmacological evaluations;
· Complete comprehensive psychiatric evaluations at admission and updated as required by DOHMH, or as clinically indicated;
· Conduct face to face individual sessions as clinically indicated but at least once every 3 months;
· Provide treatment for co-occurring substance use disorders;
· Monitor consumers for medical conditions;
· Respond to crisis situations, as needed;
· Prescribe medications (utilizing e-prescribing function of EHR), teach consumers about side effects and monitor consumer response to prescribed medications;
· Order blood analysis and/or toxicology testing as needed;
· Supervise Registered Nurse administration of medication;
· Provide psycho-education to family members and significant others;
· Participate in team meetings to evaluate consumer risk and risk management needs;
· Provide services to consumers based on current status, risk assessment, and needs;
· Provide clinical supervision and leadership to staff during daily organizational and weekly clinical meetings, and as needed individually;
· Participate in morning organizational meetings and weekly clinical meeting;
· Review participant service plans;
· Complete assessments, progress notes, and significant data such as incident reports, utilizing the agency EHR;
· Coordinate care with family and other community treatment providers or collaterals including, but not limited to: hospitals, housing providers, shelter staff, criminal justice personnel, AOT, and primary health care providers.
· Triage emergency contacts from program clinicians and provide guidance and input on off days;
· Work in collaboration with the consumer to support recovery goals and promote public safety;
· Provide trainings to program staff;
· Provide culturally-competent and anti-discriminatory services in accordance with CASES policies; and
· Perform other duties are determined by team leader and supervisory staff.
· Licensed as a physician by the NYS Education Department;
· Certified by, or eligible to be certified by, the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology;
· Extensive experience working with people with serious mental illness, co-occurring substance use and primary health care problems
· Experience working with consumers that have failed to engage in traditional public mental health treatment services;
· Knowledge of electronic medical record;
· Spanish speaking preferred,
· Excellent written and communication skills.
Hours: 17.5 per week.
Benefits: Here at CASES we offer benefits that will assist you in making the most of your career and your life. Our programs include health and wellness insurance which is offered through Aetna. A retirement 403(b) plan is held with Principal, education, and training. Additionally, our portable ancillary benefits are offered through Aflac, Legal Shield, and ADP Flexible spending account; which is then deducted through payroll along with commuter benefits, additional short-term disability, cancer, additional income protection, hospitalization coverage, and identity theft protection.
Please apply through: http://smrtr.io/IvzD5w.
Posted on 03/07/17; CVMHA ID #10798