See all job listings
The Fortune Society
Title: Care Navigator
Unit: Care Management
Reports to: Sr. Director, Care Management Unit
Status: Full-Time; Regular; Non- Exempt
Job Code: TBD
Days/Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm, subject to change based on program needs
Date Prepared: January 30, 2017
The Care Navigator ensures successful implementation of the care coordination efforts of the Care Management Unit by communicating and collaborating with the Care Manager/Care Management Team. The Care Navigator utilizes health information technology to monitor and track client health information and supports the Care Manager by participating in client intake assessments and client outreach and engagement. Field visits are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for assisting the Care Manager and other Care Management Team members in implementing clients’ individualized Plans of Care;
• Responsible for alerting or bringing important follow-up items to the Care Manager’s attention;
• Meets with enrolled and/or potential Care Management clients in the field and communicates the benefits of Care Management effectively;
• Ensures Care Management Team members receive client alerts (e.g., ER visits, admissions, discharges);
• Provides reminder phone calls for all appointments;
• Performs outreach when clients have not kept important appointments;
• Performs phone outreach between in-person visits to check on self-care, medication refills, and receipt of test results and to schedule in-person visits and follow-up tests;
• Aids in identifying primary care physicians and/or psychiatrists and provides ongoing coordination as needed;
• Ensures clients are seen by appropriate providers within 5 days of an inpatient psychiatric stay and within 7 days of an inpatient medical stay;
• Identifies and contacts eligible Care Management participants, through face-to-face outreach, email, phone;
• Schedules initial appointments with eligible Care Management participants, and follows-up with reminders, including phone and email contact;
• Builds relationships with local community leaders and attends network partner events to actively market and promote the program to target populations;
• Works with on-site organizations to coordinate referrals for eligible participants;
• Attends staff meetings and trainings and provides program updates to the Care Manager;
• Provides information in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner to the population being served; and
• Performs additional responsibilities as needed.
• High School diploma or GED required; Bachelor’s degree preferred;
• One year of job-related experience preferably in outreach activities;
• Proficient with ePACES and other State databases, and able to navigate multiple Health Home database platforms;
• MS Office, Word and Excel proficiency a must;
• Must have professional, client-centered demeanor with an ability to operate in a fast paced environment;
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements – May require travel to our Harlem office for trainings and/or meetings. Will require travel to meet clients in their communities throughout New York City.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Posted on 01/30/17; CVMHA ID #10702