See all job listings
The Fortune Society
Title: Employment Specialist
Reports to: Senior Director of Adult Mentoring & ICAN Community Service
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non - Exempt
Job Code: R519
Location: Long Island City
Days/Hours: 5 days/35 hours a week, which may include weekends and/or evenings
Date Prepared: January 30, 2017
She/he will be responsible for working with ICAN clients to retain employment and explore career ladders and future career options.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct assessments of clients for job readiness and provide appropriate referrals based on those assessments;
• Support ICAN clients with developing a marketable resume and identifying employment opportunities;
• Work with Case Managers to outreach clients who remain unemployed;
• Utilize a case management approach as well as regular telephone and in-person consultations to help clients address work related problems and issues external to the workplace impacting performance and attendance;
• Engage in career planning with clients on issues of career advancement, career change and exploring educational steps necessary to obtain jobs within career ladders;
• Facilitate sessions on professionalism and other related topics, conduct mock interviews whenever appropriate, and engage in other services to prepare clients for job opportunities;
• Identify and maintain solid working relationships with key program partners, including correctional staff and DOC, as well as organizations with proven expertise in working with our target participant pool;
• Follow up with clients to track job placements and retention;
• Perform routine data entry associates with client activity;
• Find leads to refer participants for employment; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or GED/HSE required. Minimum of Associate’s Degree preferred;
• 2 or more years of experience in social work, clinical counseling or similar services; job bank preferred;
• Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines which can include lock downs, screening of personal items including food and clothing restrictions, which can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Corrections;
• Case management experience a plus;
• Good Microsoft Office and database skills;
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish strongly preferred;
• Excellent team work skills as well as being self-directed;
• Experience working with persons who were formerly incarcerated, on public assistance and/or homeless populations preferred; and
• We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements – Travel between Rikers, MDC and Harlem office as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Posted on 01/30/17; CVMHA ID #10700